Whether it is summer or winter in the state of Wisconsin, house fires can always occur. These fires can break out for a number of reasons, from faulty wiring to careless use of candles. Below are some tips to help you reduce your chances of experiencing a house fire during any season of the year.
1. Use Care with Portable Heaters.
Wisconsin winters can be harsh, leading many homeowners to invest in portable heaters to keep warm, especially at night. In some cases, having portable heaters may even make it less expensive to heat your home. However, these heaters can also be dangerous. If a portable heater tips over, for example, a fire can break out quickly. To prevent this type of incident, make sure you purchase a good quality heater and always maintain an appropriate amount of clearance around it. Never operate a portable heater when you aren’t around to supervise.
2. Be Careful with Candles.
Whether the electricity is out or you simply want to add some ambiance to your home, you may be tempted to light a candle. Candles can be useful, but they can also pose a fire hazard. When using candles, be sure to light them only in areas where flammable materials and substances are far away. Never leave a candle unattended, and be sure to extinguish all candles before going to bed.
3. Don’t Make Common Cooking Mistakes.
Many house fires begin because of accidents in the kitchen. For example, if you accidentally ignite grease, the fire can grow quickly and potentially engulf your entire home. To protect against fires beginning in the kitchen, always use caution when you cook. Keep towels and other flammable materials and substances away from any source of heat, and make sure you have an appropriate fire extinguisher nearby.
4. Always Keep Your Dryer Vent Clean.
Dryer vents are prone to becoming clogged with lint. When these clogs grow, the combination of lint and heat can lead to a significant fire hazard. To prevent fires from beginning in your dryer vent, clean the vent frequently.
5. Store Flammable Liquids Safely.
Flammable liquids are a staple in many homes, but they can also be dangerous. Avoid problems with these liquids by storing them far from sources of heat. You should also avoid making piles of rags or other fabrics that have been soaked in flammable liquids, as these piles have been known to catch fire and spread quickly.
6. Make sure Your Home’s Wiring Is Safe.
Electrical fires can be disastrous, but they are often preventable. To reduce the risk of an electrical fire, make sure your home’s wiring is up to code. Install AFCI outlets in all of the required locations, and consider having your home’s wiring inspected if you are concerned about other hazards. Also, avoid overloading any of your outlets.
Every home is at risk of fire even when precautions are taken. When a fire occurs, you want to know that you have the insurance protection you need to repair and rebuild your property. Contact G&L Insurance today to discuss your insurance needs.